Susan’s day – Up at 5 a.m. Not because I had to but because I just woke up that early! But, it’s nice to be able to take time to get ready for the day without rushing. Breakfast was a rice/tapioca style cereal and fresh fruit. We left the Maison at 7:30 a.m. for the Bel-aire clinic in downtown Port-au-Prince. We started out in the truck with the cage but only went a few blocks before turning around. The brakes were failing or seemed to be. So, we turned around, unloaded the truck and climbed into the back of the resident tap-tap. Our driver wanted to avoid the busy streets so we went through the back streets that were in horrible repair, dirt roads, deep ruts……an hour ride to go 5 miles. Not only were the roads horrible but it was also raining….outside the tap-tap and inside the tap-tap. When we got to the church we got right to work after we had a prayer with the local Haitian workers. I did triage again today. It seemed to go very smoothly. The process is set up very nicely at that clinic. It is on the second floor of the Nazarene Church. But, the second floor is actually the balcony that surrounds the sanctuary. So the area is wide open and expansive. We did get a chance for a break about noon so were able to go up the stairs to the roof and look out over the city. The harbor was very close by. There were several large boats in it. I could just see the top of the presidential palace, or at least the leaning, collapsed top of the palace. Then back to work. It was a very quick day. We saw around 100 patients and were done by 1:30. Our docs treated a few children for possible typhoid and malaria. As soon as we were finished we got in a circle with our Haitian workers for an ending prayer. Instead, the Haitians sang a Christian song for us in place of a prayer. It was very beautiful. Then the four of us nurses and one doctor went across the street to a very tiny, very old home to do a house call on a little 72 year old lady with a leg sore. Her 76 year old sister cares for her in the house they were born in. She knew we were coming so she put on her “make-up” (a face powder). She was very beautiful and so appreciative. Then a very bumpy, exhaust filled stop and go trip home. We were early enough to have a time to rest, or swim or shower before supper. Sam was in the pool when I got to the Maison so I enjoyed sitting dangling my legs in the cool water. Very peaceful and relaxing. Dinner was chicken cooked in a creamy sauce with vegetables and saffron rice. Dessert was a cookie bar made with fresh coconut from one of the trees on the grounds of the Maison. It is only 7:30 pm and dark outside but I’m nearly ready to go to bed!!
Sam’s day: A rather uneventful day here at the Maison. Did a few odd jobs again today, fixed a sticky door, restretched a screen, replaced a shower head, that type of things. A little rain this morning and later after the sun came out I went around the property taking pictures of some of the plants. Was taking a dip in the pool when Susan got back. After my swim Susan and I sat outside beside the pool for a while until dinner time at 6 pm. After dinner we visited with some of the other people staying here. Susan just went up to bed and I think it is time to head to the showers and go to bed myself. It is not quite 8 pm, but I have to be up at 5 am to go help at a rural clinic tomorrow. Good night all.
1 comment:
wow that a long day!
Post a Comment